Starting a new nonprofit can be both daunting and exciting! These resources can help you consider the many actions needed to establish your new organization.
- Pro Bono Partnership provides free non-litigation legal services to nonprofits in Connecticut. Connecticut Bar Association provides links to several other pro bono services in the state.
- Connecticut Urban Legal Initiatives, Inc. (CULI) pairs professional staff with University of Connecticut School of Law students to provide low-cost non-litigation legal services for nonprofits.
- The Hartford Public Library Nonprofit Workshop Series provides free professional development for paid and volunteer leaders of new and smaller nonprofit organizations.
- Hartford Public Library also maintains a list of Nonprofit Resources in the Greater Hartford Area (PDF) with contact information for local organizations that support nonprofit development.
- The Alliance also provides a list of resources for new nonprofits.
- Your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile ensures that prospective donors and funders will find the accurate, timely information about your organization.
STARTING A NONPROFIT
These resources can help newer and smaller nonprofits build a strong foundation.
- Issues to consider before creating a nonprofit
- Key steps in forming a nonprofit
- How and where to incorporate a nonprofit
- Understanding board roles and responsibilities
- Recruiting, orienting, and training board members
- Structuring board committees
- Planning board meetings
- Evaluating the board
- Why planning is important
- Establishing a clear mission statement and vision
- Various types of long and short range planning (business plan, annual plan, strategic plan)
- Who should be involved in planning
- Using an outside consultant to facilitate the planning process
Overview of strategic/business plans
- Creating a budget
- Creating a basic accounting system
Building & Sustaining Your Nonprofit
The Nonprofit Support Program sponsors a periodic workshop at the Hartford Public Library, So, You've Decided to Build a Nonprofit, Now What? This workshop covers the building blocks that all successful nonprofit organizations need: building a board, budgeting, planning, marketing, fundraising and evaluation. Below are the handouts from the session which include tools and checklists to help you develop your nonprofit.
- Develop a Solid Board (PDF)
- Board Profile Worksheet (Word)
- Basic Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards (PDF)
- Individual Board Member Responsibilities (PDF)
- XYZ Board Member Responsibilities (PDF)
- Board Minutes Checklist (PDF)
- Board Officer Job Descriptions (PDF)
- Sample Governance Committee Job Description (PDF)
- Sample Board Recruiting Process (PDF)
- Sample Conflict of Interest Policy (PDF)